• crear-facebook-logo.png
  • crear-insta-logo-purp.png
  • crear-tube-logo.png
  • crear-pinter-logo.png

Scroll to top


Your Legal Marriage Paperwork Required to Marry in Scotland & Your Marriage Visas to Enter the UK 

Everyone can legally marry in Scotland.

You must be aged 16 or over, not married or in a civil partnership with someone else & are capable of understanding what marriage means & of consenting to marriage.

Crear Estate stretches over 200 acres including the beach so you can decide on the day the exact location of your marriage ceremony.

Marriage Visitor Visa

How to get married at Crear in Scotland

You both need to complete & return in the post a Marriage Notice form that tells our local registrar in Lochgilphead that you want to marry. 

  • You'll be charged a fee to register your marriage. Please check with our registrar office in Lochgilphead how much this will be.

    You need to return your forms and any other documents needed to the registrar at least 29 days before your wedding. 


    You are not required to contact the registrar where you live.


  • your birth certificate

  • evidence of where you live, for example a bank statement with your address
  • your divorce certificate if you or your partner were previously married
  • your dissolution certificate if you or your partner were previously in a civil partnership
  • a death certificate if a previous spouse (husband or wife) or civil partner has died
  • your passport or another document that provides evidence of your nationality
  • your certificate that you are free to marry under the law of your own country if you don't live in the UK

Get in touch with our local registrar in Lochgilphead as early as possible if you can't get any of these documents. You may be able to use other documents.

If any of the documents aren't in English you'll need to get a translation of the document.


Our local Registrars will be delighted to advise you directly regarding your marriage paperwork & other legal wedding requirements.

You must notify our local Registrars giving four weeks notice of your wedding regardless of who performs your marriage ceremony. This can be done by email & post. You are not required to be resident in Scotland prior to your marriage ceremony.

Different types of marriage ceremony

There are 2 different types of marriage ceremony you can have in Scotland:

  • civil ceremony - at Crear this can take place inside Crear House or anywhere on the Crear Estate including the beach
  • religious or belief ceremony - can take place anywhere at Crear by someone approved to conduct a ceremony

Everyone can legally marry in Scotland & the Registrars will be delighted to advise you directly regarding your paperwork & other legal requirements. For non UK passport holders, please allow three months for any relevant marriage or travel visas to be in place to enter the UK.

For Civil ceremonies the Registrar will bring your paperwork on the day. You are required to collect your marriage schedule in person from the Registrars office for religious ceremonies. 


Changing a civil partnership to a marriage


Declaration of immigration status


You'll also need to complete and return a declaration of immigration status form if you're not from:


Copyright © 2021 Crear. All right reserved